Made Up Mind
Too many of us are ‘bumper sticker Christians.’ Many recite slogans like, ‘I’m saved, sanctified, holy ghost filled, fire baptized, …’ when in reality those same people are often panicked, looking for a worldly way out of every situation: ‘How can we save our job, our children, our marriage?’ What is missing is a made-up mind to live for Jesus even if no one is watching.
Jesus understands our struggle and shows us what to do about it:
Luke 12:1-3 – In the meantime, when an innumerable multitude of people had gathered together, so that they trampled one another, He began to say to His disciples first of all, “Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. 2 For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, nor hidden that will not be known.3 Therefore whatever you have spoken in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have spoken in the ear in inner rooms will be proclaimed on the housetops.
As Jesus turns away from the crowd to speak to His disciples, He demonstrates that our minds must be focused on God if we intend to live for Him. After the crowd has departed, we still have to have the same energy – the same made-up mind.
Colossians 3:1 - If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.
You have discipline. Do what God has for you to do. Dare to be unpopular. Stop foolishness just to please people.
Don’t compare yourself to those that are beneath you. Trust God to sustain you.
Luke 12:24 - God takes care of the raven.
- 27 - Consider the lilies of the field … they neither toil nor spin.
- 29 - And do not seek what you should eat or what you should drink, nor have an anxious mind
- 31 – Seek the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you.
- 28 - Don’t be grass that gets thrown in the oven.
- 32 - Do not fear, little flock, forit is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
Stop disagreeing with who God says you are. God says you are more than a conqueror. His story was never meant to be hidden. He was meant to be lifted up. Even though our freedom of action is restricted right now, our commitment to God stays the same, as is His commitment to us. Don’t listen to inner voices. Don’t be distracted by the cares of the world.
Who you used to be is now dead. Keep your mind and your eyes on things above. We need a made-up mind to live for Him. Be sold out. No room, no vacancy. No options. Be able to say, ‘for God I live and for God I die.’ One day there won’t be a crowd. We won’t be able to say, ‘thank you for worshipping for me.’ Say ‘Yes’ for Christ’s sake and for yours!
- 2 Timothy 1:7 – For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. How have you been able to apply this scripture for yourself and others during this time of restricted movement and limited employment?
- Philippians 4:6 – be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. Share testimonies of thanksgiving for blessings experienced during the last 3 months.
- If you have felt a new or renewed commitment to Christ, please share.
A Made-up Mind
June 14, 2020